Tuesday, July 11, 2006

AJAX...

Well, I've been aware of AJAX since the last job when The Bear and Phil first found out about it. Back then I was pretty skeptical about the idea of using JavaScript to post to a webservice and do cool stuff with the results but....

Recently the current employer asked me to write a couple of systems that just screamed for AJAX. Both projects relate to different aspects of patient scheduling. And you know what, it's been a resounding success!! These systems were acting pretty smart with just a little AJAX, finally over the last week I decided to go totally nuts with it. I wrote a validator XML exchange that uses a factory to determain the validation type, kind of reminds me of the good old days writing factory based webservices for the previous employer. Then I wrote several other little XML exchanges, relating to scheduling and other things. The system is totally kicking butt!

While I was demoing it to our sales guy for his big show he actually got up at one point and exclaimed that he wished he could redo some old shows with the new system! I'm pretty happy about that. I'm writing a new system that's going to be extreamly tightly integrated with AJAX... I'm using the new AJAX thing as my OOP fix... Since for most my normal code I don't get to write real objects.

2 Comments:

Blogger Whitey said...

Orielly is putting out from Atlas and Ajax books. Pretty exciting.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Carlo said...

Actually, I'm really not using Atlas at all. Installed it on my home PC, but I've never really used it. I wanted to learn the internals of how AJAX works before playing with a higher level library like that. Plus it lets me do more OOP (in javascript) which I like since our coding standards tend to discourage it.

Honestly I've found that working with AJAX through javascript it's self isn't hard. Once you learn some of the basics about how javascript interacts with webbrowsers it becomes trivial to write solid scripts that don't leak memory (even without paying any particular attention to how you build your DOM tree).

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home