Thursday, July 27, 2006

Paypal is evil, and ebay troubles :(

Well, the other day I decided to pick up a 5.1 surround sound system... Given that these days these systems are fairly cheap, and of good quality, figured what the hell. So first I went on ebay, and found a nice JVC 5.1 surround sound reciever (this is where I went wrong), then I went to best buy, and got some decent for the money yamaha speakers for $187, even picked up speaker stands for the rear speakers.

Well, this is all about paypal horrors, so here's the story...

As it turns out, I completely forgot to update my information on paypal after moviung to north carolina. This ends up meaning two things... First of all, the bank account associated with the paypal account is closed, as is the credit card is actually a check debit card tied to the closed checking account!!! So I go to make my payment, enter my paypal information, and guess what... Paypal approved the transaction!!!!!!!!!!! Yes that's right boys and girls, paypal has no issue approving transactions against closed bank accounts!!!!!!!!!!!!! You see, here's the issue... First they tried charging the debit card, this was declined then they AUTOMATICALLY rolled over to the checking account. Problem here is, they won't know for 3 days that that's going to be declined as well... Keep in mind, paypal chooses not to tell you your credit card was declined... because well, I guess that would be overly complex or something...

Now, for the first day, I don't know any of this, I don't realize it until i get my fedex tracking number and find out my package is being sent to OHIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this point I realize my shipping information was not updated... and then, I also realize that my payment methods must not have been updated either!!!!!!

So, being a good boy, I get in touch with the seller (audio solutions), and explain to them what happened. These guys are actually pretty good. They were willing to work with me, and for a $10 charge they got the package rerouted to NC. Really can't ask for more than that! So that's it right? happy ending right? No, oh no it can't be that easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see, paypal, put a hold on the payment. When this happend, the audio solutions accouting department recalled the package back to NY!!!!!!! So I called them, to get the package routed again to NC. Low and behold, I got sammy, the dude that helped me get this figured out in the first place. This guy is awesome, and he worked to get the package straightened out. Apparently, some one beat him to it though, when he called fedex they told him that it had be routed back to NC again and that he didn't need to call. So I guess they caught thier mistake. So end of story right? happy ending? OH HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see, there's still the question of this $134 dollars sitting in limbo with paypal... You see, because the bank accounts are closed, the money couldn't come from anywhere, and it couldn't go anywhere... So what's paypal's solution? Let the seller and buyer get intouch with them and just cancel the whole thing out? OH HELL NO!!!!! What I had to do was pay paypal $134.00, this covered the debt. Then I had to call their freaking claims department, and get the stupid sons of a bitches to release the god damn hold on the money, so it could be transfered to the seller. Then I had to call audio solutions back, and have them refund the money... so I get the money back on my credit card and happy ending right? NOPE!!!

You see, unlike every retailer in america, it turns out paypal can't refund money to a credit or debit card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But that's ok, they have a brillian solution.. THEY'LL JUST DEPOSIT THE MONEY INTO MY CLOSED CHECKING ACCOUNT!!! ISN'T THAT A GOOD IDEA???? Well, I had to remind them, the account is closed, you can't transfer money into a CLOSED ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So what's their solution? I have to request a check, wait several days for it to come in the mail, deposit it, then wait 7 to 10 days for the check to clear so I can get MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, that doesn't work for me... So what did I do, I went on their stupid website, and I gave them my checking account... It a couple of days I'll see some deposits from them, and confirm the account, then I'll have the money transfered in... not a speedy process, but at least it takes care of the time it would take to clear the check....

So after all of this, all I have to say is that paypal is an extreamly bad company to use for ecommerce... these people are a bunch of retards... I read not long ago that ebay (owns paypal) recently instituted a policy banning the up comming google pay as a valid payment method on their online auction site. Apparnetly they're afraid paypal will be eaten alive... gee.... I wonder why.... Well, I"m not usig paypal ever agian.... If I ever use ebay again, sellers will have to be willing to accept an alternate form of payment, I'm not going through this again!

If you have a paypal account, I highly recommend you close it immediatly! Do not ever send any moeny through their system, these people suck. Find some other way to do business on ebay, or where ever.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, last time I used paypal, it gave me the list of accounts so I could verify which one I wanted to use. It also told me that it would fall back to the checking account should there be problems drawing from the card. Also, one of the last steps was to verify the address I was giving the other party in the transaction for shipping purposes. But yeah, this whole thing's paypal's fault. ahuh.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Whitey said...

I own a Yamaha 5.1 system and swear by it. I'm in the process of replacing my satelites with Bose. I got the center, and not it's satelites two at a time, but I'm still keeping the Yamahaa.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Carlo said...

First of all, hated to have to do it but I did have to delete the first comment left. You know what, I admit I made a mistake, if you want to think I'm stupid for making mistakes, that's fine. Please don't post it to my blog.

CommonSense:
Nope, not all paypals fault... What *is* their fault are some policies that magnify any mistake you may make.

Whitey,
Can't complain about the speakers too much. The one I've designated for the left front has a small issue with a spring clips not quite holding speaker securely enough. So every now and again I'll have some slight issues with that speaker. Thinking about trying out some bannana plugs or something to compensate for the looseness. Got some at radio shack tonight actually, but they were a bit for my wire. So I'll see if they have a smaller gage one available tomorrow.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, you are still blaming paypal for anything related to this? How is paypal suppose to work with 2 bad accounts and a bad address when you verify that information before you "commit" to the transaction?

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats alright Carlos....everyone does dumb stuff sometimes....and I'm with you I hate Pay Pal too but for different reasons...

10:30 AM  
Blogger Carlo said...

Reality:

1) It could inform users that their CC was declined, which it didn't

2) If for some reason, the user *does* get to the point I was at, they could allow the seller to cancel the paypal transaction (assuming other arrangments were made as they were in my case)

The system doing either one of those two things would probably have stopped me from
A). Getting into that situation to beginwith
and or
B). Resolve the issue w/o losing quite a bit of money for several days while it hung in limbo in the paypal system.

I also don't like the fact that paypal will deposit money into an unverified bank account. While paypal does send account name information with the deposit by their own admition, there is more than one bank that will ignore this information. Though I personally have not had an issue with this, I can see a situation where someone loses money due to either a typographical error in the account number, or a malitious user gaining access to a PPal account and moving money into an unnamed account some where.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Down with Pay Pal!!!!!

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home